Self-grounding standoffs are specifically designed for use within steel and aluminum chassis-to-ground printed circuit boards. These thru-hole standoffs incorporate projecting teeth that ensure strong electrical conductivity with the board’s circuitry, thereby eliminating the need for additional hardware (i.e. serrated or star washers). These industrial fasteners can be purchased from JHP Fasteners and are available within very short delivery times.
Self-Grounding Thru-Hole Standoff Properties:
- Material: Your choice of:
- 300 series stainless steel (finished per passivated ASTM A380)
- 7075-T6 aluminum (no finish)
- Thread: Class 2B, MIL-S-7742; (6H ISO Metric)
- Suitable for use in:
- Suitable usage as follows:
- 300 series stainless steel - use in materials with Rockwell Hardness of B-70 or less
- 7075-T6 aluminum - use in materials with Rockwell Hardness of B-50 or less
- Available thru-thread sizes:
- Inches: #4-40 and #6-32
- Metric: M3 x 0.5 and M4 x 0.7
Grounding Standoff Application notes:
- Insertion of the thru-hole standoff is accomplished by squeezing into a properly sized hole that has either been drilled or punched. The squeezing process can be done either manually with a punch and anvil or via use of an automated insertion process. Depending on the standoff’s thread size, an insertion force of between 1500 and 2000 pounds will be required.
- When properly inserted, the self-grounding standoff will provide excellent electrical contact with the circuitry of the printed circuit board. The head of the standoff will be flush with the surface of the printed circuit board.
- Depending on thread size, a push-out performance of between 290 and 380 pounds will be attained. Torque-out will be between 24 and 44 pounds.
In applications where it is critical to achieve, and maintain, electrical conductivity between a thru-hole standoff and a printed circuit board, JHP Fasteners strongly recommends the use of the self-grounding standoff. These industrial fasteners are the ideal solution for those types of applications. JHP Fastener’s extensive industry experience has proven to be a tangible asset to many of our industrial customers.
Contact JHP Fasteners Today
Contact us today for any industrial fastener requirement you may have. We will work hard to win your business.