A floating locking clinch nut is a specialized standard or metric nut that experiences reduced loosening when exposed to high vibration environments. Self-locking nuts are a good choice for applications where mating part misalignment poses a problem. These self-clinching nuts will compensate for misalignments of up to .030” and will provide excellent torque retention for the mating screw.
In situations that require some degree of alignment flexibility, the floating locking clinch nut may be the type of industrial fastener that you need. JHP Fasteners has a large assortment of these as well as other self-clinching nuts that will meet the demands of virtually any commercial or industrial application.
Contact us for more information regarding our floating locking nut product options, or call us at 800-783-0910 and we will discuss your project’s exact specification requirements. JHP Fasteners is your trusted source for a wide range of steel and stainless steel self tightening nut fasteners.
Floating Locking Clinch Nut AdvantagesLock nuts feature a unique design that helps prevent them from loosening when exposed to vibrations. Traditional nuts simply consist of a basic threaded hole, so constant exposure to vibrations can break them loose from the screws which are placed in them. Additional floating locknut benefits include:
- Reusable over and over for repeated maintenance.
- Does not damage or deform the bolt thread.
- Proven for decades in the most demanding applications.
- Holds in any position on the bolt.
Floating Self-Locking Hex Nut Application NotesThe floating locking self-clinching nut provides a strong female thread ideally suited for use in cold-rolled steel, 2024-T3 aluminum, and 5052-H34 aluminum sheet metal. The floating action of the nut will compensate for mating hole misalignment of up to .030” (.8mm).
This industrial fastener provides prevailing torque for the mating screw that is equivalent to MIL-N-250-27.
Installation of the flocking locking clinch nut is accomplished by applying a steady parallel squeezing force and can be done manually or via use of an automated press device.
Floating Lock Nut Properties & OptionsAlso known as a floating locking clinch nut, a lock nut is a special type of nut that resists loosening when exposed to vibrations. Additional locknut properties and product options include:
- Material: Available in the following material configurations and finishes:
- Body: Heat-treated carbon steel (finished in Zinc Clear). Nut: 300 series stainless steel (finished in Black Dry Film Lubricant over Cadmium Chromate).
- Body: 300 series stainless steel (finished per passivated ASTM A380). Nut: 300 series stainless steel (finished in Black Dry Film Lubricant over Cadmium Chromate).
- Thread: Self Locking Internal: ANSI B1.1, 3B/ANSI/ASME B1.13M; (6H ISO metric)
- Suitable for Use in: Materials with Rockwell Hardness of B-70 or less.
- Available Thread Sizes: Inches: Available in #4-40 through ¼ -28. Metric: Available in M3 x 0.5 through M6 x 1.0.
- Float: .015” (.4mm) minimum in all directions from the center, .030” (.8mm) total.
Contact JHP Fasteners for Floating Self-Locking Nuts TodayJHP Fasteners has experience that extends to virtually every type of industrial fastener on the market today. That expertise has allowed us to provide valuable consultation to buyers and designers from a wide range of industries. We recognize that the selection of appropriate hardware is a critical component to the success of any project, and we will ensure that you have all the information at your disposal required to make informed decisions.
Contact us for more information regarding our various floating locking nut options, or request a quote for further pricing details today. JHP Fasteners is your trusted source for standard and metric floating locking clinch nut fasteners.