Self-Clinching Nut Material Options
Self-clinching nuts (sometimes also known as swage nuts) are a common choice for products and applications that require an industrial fastener that provides strong load-bearing threads in sheet metal and other thin-section assemblies
Self-clinching nuts are available from JHP Fasteners and are available in stainless steel, steel with zinc plating, and aluminum material options in numerous thread sizes (inch and metric).
Contact us for more information on how our self-clinching nuts can improve your project or call us at 800-783-0910, and we will happily answer your specific clinch nut questions.
Metal Self-Clinching (Swage Nut) MaterialsDepending on your project specifications, self-clinching fasteners are available in several different material options. These materials provide good strength and corrosion resistance in a wide range of environments. Almost all JHP Fasteners self-clinching nuts are available in inch and metric sizes and are available in the following material options:
- Stainless Steel
- Carbon Steel (clear zinc finish)
Stainless Steel Self-Clinching Nut AdvantagesStainless steel self-clinching fasteners are suitable for use in materials with a hardness rating of HRB-70 or less. In particular, stainless steel nuts provide the following benefits:
- Corrosion-resistance for a variety of applications and challenging environments
- Offers a strong internal thread
- Ideal for applications that need non-corrosive fasteners. Healthcare applications or food preparation benefit from stainless steel self-clinching nuts due to its natural, hygienic properties.
Advantages of Carbon Steel Self-Clinching NutsCarbon steel swage (self-clinching) nuts are suitable for use in materials with HRB-80 or less. Benefits of carbon steel swage nuts include:
- Cost-effective when compared to other materials
- Ideal for high volume machine parts
- Zinc-coated carbon steel self-clinching nuts offer excellent corrosion-resistance
- Ideal for light and medium applications
Aluminum Self-Clinching Nut AdvantagesAluminum self-clinching nuts are suitable for use in materials with HRB-50 or less. Benefits for aluminum self-clinching nuts include:
- High strength-to-weight ratio
- Resistant to environmental and chemical corrosion
- Ideal for applications that require the lightweight properties aluminum offers. Aluminum self-clinching nuts work well for applications that need corrosion-resistance
Benefits of Self-Clinching NutsMetal self-clinching nuts take less space and require fewer assembly operations than other fasteners with similar features. They also have greater reusability and more holding power than sheet metal screws. Some of the other key benefits associated with self-clinching stainless steel, steel zinc, and aluminum swage nuts, include:
- High torque-out resistance
- Strong threads
- Are installed via parallel squeeze force
- No re-tapping post installation
Self-Clinching Nut Application Notes
- By installing a self-clinching nut through the application of a squeezing force via a parallel press device, the knurled shank will permanently be set in the sheet material.
- Since the clinching process takes place on the fastener side of the sheet surface, the opposite side retains a smooth and flush condition.
- By utilizing proper installation force, the threads in the self-clinching nut will not be damaged or distorted.
At JHP Fasteners, that is our expertise. We have the industry knowledge and experience that will allow us to provide you with expert guidance in the selection of an industrial fastener that will fully satisfy all the unique requirements of your product.
Self-clinching Nut Installation Process
When utilized within a ductile metal, swage nuts displace the host material around the mounting hole, causing it to cold flow into a specially designed annular recess in the shank or pilot of the fastener. A serrated clinching ring, knurl, ribs, or hex head prevents the fastener from rotating in the host material once it has been properly inserted. Once installed, the self-clinching swage nut becomes a permanent part of the assembly in which they are installed.
Order Swage Nuts Today!
Contact us for more information regarding our self-clinching nut material options or request a quote today. We stock the aluminum, stainless steel, and carbon steel self-clinching nuts you need, at a price you deserve.